Older Animals Need Extra Special Care

April Showers Bring May Weeds: Beware Of The Way Foxtails Can Hurt Your Dog

Taking a dog on a walk is a real joy in the spring and summer, but it can also potentially expose your dog to hidden hazards. One of these potential hazards are foxtails, a specific type of weed that can cause serious harm to your dog's health. If you're planning on walking in any kind of overgrown or woodsy areas in the near future, read on to learn about foxtails and how to protect your dog from them.

What Foxtails Are

Foxtails are a specific type of weed that you've probably seen before. They're called foxtails because they resemble the tail of a fox, and are spiky, leading to them getting stuck to clothing and fur. Foxtails are extremely common all over the United States, appearing everywhere from woodsy areas to your own backyard.

How a Foxtail Can Hurt Your Dog

As mentioned, foxtails can cling to just about anything. This is the main way that they're able to cause harm. When foxtails get stuck to your dog, they can be ingested or even inhaled. Unfortunately, due to the spiky and sharp nature of a foxtail, they don't go down smoothly.

If a foxtail is ingested by your dog, it can actually make its way into the wall of the intestines or stomach. Foxtails can be digested, but if they puncture the wall of your dog's intestines prior to making it to the stomach acid, they can cause a tear in the lining of your dog's intestines. This can lead to a severe infection, pain, and internal bleeding.

If foxtails are inhaled, matters are even worse. They can again embed themselves, except this time either in the windpipe or the lungs. This can not only cause an infection and bleeding, but it can make it extremely hard for your dog to breathe.

Preventing the Problem

Since foxtails can be found nearly anywhere, there's no 100% certain way to protect your dog from encountering them. However, if you see foxtails in the areas where you walk your dog, you should consider finding a new place to walk your dog. The less often it's exposed to foxtails, the better.

To increase your dog's chances of coming away from an encounter with foxtails unharmed, make sure to carefully examine your dog after walks and after it goes outside. Check its fur and face for foxtails. If any are found, carefully remove them and throw them away where a dog can't get to them.

If you ever find a foxtail embedded in your dog's skin or see one disappearing into your dog's nose or mouth, get to a veterinarian immediately. Doing so could mean the difference between a prolonged hospitalization and a quick medical procedure to extract it. For more information on dog care, contact a veterinarian clinic in your area. 

About Me

Older Animals Need Extra Special Care

I have always been an animal-lover, and while my family had cats when I was growing up, after I graduated from college and had my own place, I adopted my first dog. I did a lot of research on dog care before adopting him to help make sure I care for him properly and continue to research pet health tips to this day. Now that he has reached his "golden years," I realize that is is more important than ever to monitor his health. I take him to the veterinarian every year for a wellness check-up and give him a couple of health supplements. I am proud to say that he is in amazing health for his age! I want to help others learn how to care for their pets well, especially senior dogs and cats, so I decided to start a blog to share my pet care tips on!


Latest Posts

Common Health Issues in Small Pets: What You Need to Know
18 September 2023

Small pets such as guinea pigs, hamsters, guinea p

Changes That Could Indicate Osteosarcoma In A Dog
8 May 2023

The word "cancer" is probably the last thing that

When To Bring Your Cat To A Veterinarian
12 January 2023

If you recently brought a cat into your home to jo

Health Tips For Your New Dog
13 October 2022

Adopting a new dog is a major event in your life,

Heatstroke: Don't Let Fun In The Sun Turn Deadly For Your Dog
6 July 2022

Heatstroke in dogs is a common occurrence in the s